Rum is one of the world’s most iconic spirits. With a rich history spanning several centuries, rum has long been one of the most popular alcoholic beverages. Rum originated in the Caribbean around the 17th century, quickly becoming a popular drink among sailors and pirates due to its high alcohol content and long shelf life. Rum is a fascinating and versatile spirit with a rich history and cultural significance. Whether you enjoy it straight, mixed in a cocktail, or used in cooking, there’s no denying that rum has a unique flavor profile that has stood the test of time.
Our handmade Black Coral Florida Rums are no different! We invite you to learn some facts about rum below.
Today, there are several different types of rum available, each with its own unique flavor profile. These classifications of rum include white, gold, dark, spiced, and flavored rums.
Each type of rum has a unique flavor profile and is enjoyed differently. On top of this, different types of rums spend different amounts of time within barrels in the rum aging process.
White rum is the most common type of rum and is generally aged for one to two years in oak barrels. It has a light and smooth flavor profile and is perfect for use in cocktails.
Dark rum is aged for a longer period of time, often up to 12 years or more. It has a rich and complex flavor profile, with notes of caramel, vanilla, and oak.
Spiced rum is infused with a blend of spices that give it a warm and spicy flavor profile. Rum is a versatile and complex spirit that continues to be enjoyed by enthusiasts around the world.
The process of making rum typically starts with harvesting and crushing sugarcane to extract its juice or byproduct, molasses.
Yeast is then added to the juice or molasses to begin the fermentation process, which converts the sugar into alcohol.
After fermentation, the resulting liquid is distilled to increase the alcohol content and create a more concentrated and refined product. The rum is then aged in oak barrels to enhance its flavor and color.
The final product can vary in color and taste depending on the type of sugarcane or molasses used, the fermentation process, the distillation technique, and the aging conditions. Types of rums are aged in barrels depending on the intended final product. Darker rums take considerably longer to age, in turn giving way to enhanced flavor profiles.
Fun Facts About Rum
Rum is one of the world’s most iconic spirits. Here are some fun rum facts:
- Rum was invented in the Caribbean in the 17th century. Although sugarcane originated in Asia, it was brought to the Caribbean by European colonizers who used it to produce rum. As a result, rum production quickly became an essential industry in the Caribbean and is still a significant export for many countries.
- Rum was used as a currency for many years in the past. During the 17th and 18th centuries, rum was used as a currency in many parts of the world. For example, it was common to pay soldiers in bottles of rum.
- The aging process affects the flavor of rum. Like many other distilled spirits, rum gets its taste from aging in wooden barrels. Depending on the type of barrel and the length of time spent aging, rum can have a wide range of flavors, from sweet and fruity to spicy and smoky.
- Rum has a long history with pirates. Rum was a favorite drink of pirates, who would often drink it straight or mixed with water to make a drink called “grog”. Some even believed that rum was medicinal and would drink it to prevent illness.
- Many famous cocktails are crafted with rum. From the classic daiquiri to the renowned piña colada, rum is a staple ingredient in many of the world’s most famous cocktails. It’s also commonly used in punches and other mixed drinks.
- The mojito, a classic rum cocktail, originated in Cuba. This classic cocktail, made with rum, lime, mint, sugar, and soda water, was first created in Cuba in the late 19th century.
- Rum is a critical ingredient in delicious Caribbean cuisine. It is the highlight in many Caribbean dishes, including jerk chicken and rum cake. It is also a popular ingredient in sauces and marinades.
- The world’s oldest rum distillery is in Barbados. This distillery has been producing rum since 1703. It is the world’s oldest continuously operating rum distillation plant.
History of Steel Tie Spirits Rum
Steel Tie Spirits Co. is a family-owned and operated distillery based in West Palm Beach, Florida. Founded by the father-son duo of Clint and Ben Etheridge, Steel Tie Spirits Co. has been distilling and crafting small-batch, high-quality Florida rum for over a decade.
Our small-batch spirits are carefully flavored using all-natural ingredients – no artificial colors, no fillers, no nonsense.
How It’s Made
Black Coral Florida Rum is crafted using non-GMO, pesticide-free ingredients sourced in-state. Our rum is made from local fermented molasses and infused by hand with all-natural spices to bring the complex flavors forward. Slowly aging our rums in wooden barrels gives them a beautifully spiced and nuanced profile. Here’s an overview of the rums we make in-house:
- Our aged Black Coral White Rum can be sipped over ice, or its buttery smooth and round finish can be used in your favorite cocktail. The butterscotch flavor comes from the purest local Florida molasses. We never add anything to our White Rum after it is aged six months in American white oak barrels. This was meant to be a mixing rum, and it is great in cocktails. However, we suggest you simply pour it over a large ice cube and enjoy it as if it were a whiskey or cognac. No additives; simply pure flavor.
- Our Black Coral Spiced Rum is crafted with real baker’s caramel to create balance and complexity. While sipping on our spiced rum, you’ll taste more than a dozen Florida-grown spices, including toasted cacao nibs, clove, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. The finisher is a long, lingering vanilla flavor. The first thing we did in creating our Spiced Rum was to curate a selection of pure, natural, Florida-grown spices. In doing that, we found ourselves visiting a lot of farms all across the state and meeting some fascinating and brilliant people – and you wind up developing something much more complex than you ever imagined! That was our experience, for sure, and we’re grateful for all these wonderful farming families that help us make our flagship spirit.
- Raw blackstrap molasses is used to craft our Black Coral Black Rum. Real baker’s caramel is added to create a complex and balanced rum. Simple spices, clove, and anise are hand infused to deliver a rich and smooth flavor. Our Black Rum brings deeper notes like dark chocolate, coffee, and toffee to the nose. Simple ingredients bring big flavors like caramel, almond, and molasses. Its flavor profile is very different from our white and our spiced rums – but it does share the same purity and versatility. Serve it straight, mixed with ginger beer, or stirred into a complex Old Fashioned.
Something to Sip On
There are many facts about rum that we haven’t even touched on. From its origins in the Caribbean to its worldwide popularity today, rum has a unique flavor and character that sets it apart from other spirits.
Steel Tie Spirits produces high-quality Florida rums using traditional techniques and unique blends of ingredients. Our rums range from light and fruity to rich and complex, offering something for every taste preference. Whether enjoyed on its own, mixed into a cocktail, or used in cooking, rum is a beloved spirit that continues to captivate drinkers and enthusiasts alike.
Now that you know these facts about rum, grab your bottle of Black Coral Florida Rum here today to taste our beautiful rum for yourself!